Useful tips for your time at the ocean
Driving on the Beach requires some basic rules of the road...
these are the law and must be obeyed at all times:
- All vehicles must be licensed and street legal.
- All drivers must have a valid driver's license.
- You must drive on the uppermost hard-packed sand and not in the sand dunes or near the surf.
- The Speed Limit is 25 mph by may have to be slower if conditions are poor or it endangers others.
- You cannot do"donuts" or circling on the beach. $250 fine for this offence.
- All persons on Mopeds or Motorcycles are required to wear a helmet.
- Do not drive in posted closed areas.
- Do not drive while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Do not drive on clam beds.
How to drive on the beach - This is by far the most important aspect to Ocean Shores. Driving where there's no roads.
- Don't exceed the posted speed limits, safety is paramount. On beach Speed Limit is 25.
- Our campground is at the furthest north you can drive and you can drive south to Ocean Shores town center as the furthest south on the beach.
- Do not drive in the water. You have a very high chance of drenching your motor and getting stuck in the riptide.
- Do not be like these people and leave your car, truck, or RV unattended. The water can come in quick and leave you stranded without a vehicle.
- Do not drive in soft sand, you will bog down and even with 4x4 you can be stuck.
- Drive where others are driving, observe good manners as if it were a highway.
- Watch for children and animals at all times.
Fires on the beach...
- Cannot be in or near the dunes.
- Cannot be in or using large pieces of driftwood.
- Do not leave fires unattended.
- Dune grass is highly flammable.
- Watch for burn bans at http://www.wadnr.gov/burn-risk or contact the DNR at 800-323-2876
Fireworks on the beach...
- Fireworks are permitted only during the time permitted by State Law (June 28th noon to July 6 noon).
- Fireworks are only permitted from the high tide line to the water.
- Fireworks are not permitted in the campground or in town.
- Do not approach, touch, or feed seals. $500 fine for being within 100' of a seal.
- Razor clams are only able to be dug up during Razor Clam season and require licenses.
- All Fishing requires proper licensing.
- Avoid feeding any and all wildlife.